Veterans United Realty Blog

Get the inside scoop on VA
loans and military borrowers.
VUR on FB
Find us on Facebook!

How Long Does it Take to Close a VA Loan?

It’s an extremely common question across Veterans United Network:

“How long will it take to buy a home with a VA loan?”

And it’s a tough one to answer. Buying a home is a multi-step process, and hiccups can occur at any stage of that process. But with good preparation and the right approach, VA buyers can better predict when those precious keys will finally be in hand.

Let’s review five key factors that could affect the timeline of a VA loan purchase. Knowing the details of the VA loan process is important for you and your customers.

how long does it take to close a va loan

How long will it take to buy a home with a VA loan? It all depends.

Factor #1: Are you preapproved?

PREAPPROVAL: It’s one of the best ways to shorten the waiting game.

A “preapproved buyer” has met a lender’s basic requirements, and is likely to obtain a loan, provided that certain conditions are met. Preapproval shows that a buyer is probably going to obtain financing, which eliminates a hefty amount of uncertainty and delays.

When should a buyer get preapproved? As soon as possible. Most lenders recommend getting preapproved months before starting the house hunt. That leeway gives potential buyers plenty of time to clear up eligibility problems before falling in love with a home.

Get Started with your VA Loan Request

Factor #2: Buyer/seller timelines

When do you want to move in? When does the seller want to move out?

Just because a home is on the market doesn’t mean the sellers are ready to move immediately. Perhaps the sellers want to stay until the end of the school year. Maybe they have to wait until their new home is complete.

And perhaps the buyer is in the same boat. Buyers and sellers have to agree on a closing date, and that date could either speed up or delay the entire process.

Factor #3: How long will the VA appraisal take?

A home purchased with a VA loan is subject to the VA appraisal. And only a VA-approved appraiser can perform a VA appraisal.

VA lenders are responsible for ordering VA appraisals, which are completed in 10 days on average. But as VA appraisers are in short supply in rural areas, buyers should expect the VA appraisal to take longer in sparsely-populated locales.

Repairs and va loan closing time

Simple repairs shouldn’t delay the VA loan process by more than a few days.

Factor #4: Will any repairs be ordered?

The results of the VA appraisal can also either hasten or hinder the closing process.

If the VA appraiser makes a home “subject to” repairs, those repairs must be completed before the loan can close. Extensive repairs could push the closing date back by weeks or months.

The appraisal value can also affect the final timeline. VA loans can’t be issued for more than a home’s appraisal value. If the appraisal value falls below the purchase price, buyers have some thinking (and some delays) ahead. Buyers can either:

• Ask the seller for a price reduction
  • Ask for a Reconsideration of Value
  • Make up the difference in cash
  • Walk away from the purchase

Factor #5: How long will underwriting take?

Post-appraisal, any VA loan file is subject to final underwriting. If an underwriter needs additional documentation or notices an eligibility problem, the closing date could change.

A word of advice for buyers: You’re extremely close to the finish line, so try not to panic. Be as helpful as possible during this phase, and you’ll likely be in good shape for a quick close.

Conclusion: Be prepared and give yourself wiggle room!

Being Prepared and Closing a VA Loan

With luck and good preparation, you’ll be relaxing on your own front porch before you know it.

At the end of the day, it’s very difficult to predict how long the purchase process will take. The VA loan process could take two weeks. It could take two months. It could take two years.

The lesson? Control what you can…:

…and let go of what you can’t. Be flexible, give yourself wiggle room, and get ready for an exciting journey!

For more information on things to avoid while in the contract phase, check out this contract guide.

Photos courtesy of Nina Matthews PhotographyJessicaReeder and kretyen

Posted by Jessi Hall
| jhall@veteransunited.com

70 Comments

1. Tirzah Zadra McCrory
    Posted April 29, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Good info! And I am finding this consistent with what I am finding with my VA deals right now! Love working with our military. I am enjoying using my CMRS (Certified Military Relocation Specialist).

2. Robert Herrera
    Posted May 1, 2013 at 12:51 am | Permalink

The one thing I am running into is that no one wants to accept a VA loan.The VA loan is the last on the list that sellers will take.Making it hard for veterans to buy a house unless we have cash.

• Posted May 1, 2013 at 7:05 am | Permalink

Hi Robert – The VA loan program has been through some extensive changes in recent years, which make the program simpler and easier than ever. But some sellers and agents aren’t aware of those changes, and are unnecessarily frightened of the VA loan process. We’re doing our best to combat that problem with good public education! My best advice – find a buyer’s agent who’s worked with VA buyers before, and encourage him/her to educate the seller’s agent about the ease and flexibility of VA loans! Best of luck to you, Robert!

• Stephanie
        Posted May 31, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Jessi,
        That’s a nice political answer to Roberts comment but in reality. When a seller signs a listing agreement to sell their house they’re generally ready to sell it that day. You would be hard pressed to find a seller who is willing to wait from 2 months let alone 2 yrs for a loan to be approved and not 100% guarantee that it will be approved. I think VA loans are great but the process needs to be speed up to match the time frame of conventional loans. The every entity that is in place to help the veterans as the same one that is causing them frustrations and to miss out on a purchase if a home that they love.

• Posted June 9, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Stephanie – Sure, we’d all like to sell ASAP. But in many markets, that’s not a realistic expectation. In many markets, it’s common to wait 30-60 days for closing, and it’s typically not a problem for most VA loans to close within that time-frame. Working with a good lender, a good agent and an appropriate property are all keys to ensuring quick closing timelines, which our veterans certain do deserve.

• Joe Harosky
          Posted September 8, 2013 at 12:28 am | Permalink

I agree with the previous comments that VA loans are the last on the sellers lists of offers. I have been experiencing this during my bidding process from both realtors and sellers in Hawaii. Sellers and realtors don’t want the extra hassles (perceived or real) with VA loans. In addition, I believe that I just lost out to another buyer due to having a VA loan on the offer. My offer was above listing price with money down and the seller selected another offer. I’m aware that this could be a result of many factors, however, it is a reality that sellers and realtors prefer to avoid VA loans.

• Posted September 10, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

It is a fact in many markets, Joe. You’re certainly right. We’re doing our best to combat the negative connotations associated with VA loans via this blog. We hate to see service members losing out on properties due to VA loan misconceptions! Thanks for sharing, and for your service.

3. Gerry Clark
    Posted May 23, 2013 at 7:17 am | Permalink

Gerry,
    I thought you might find this interesting.
    June

4. Eduardo Rubiera
    Posted May 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

We gladly work with active military and veterans. Just one way to say “thank you” for all they do.

Florida Real Properties, LLC

5. carl marshall
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

wow excellent infromation

6. carl marshall
    Posted June 5, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

im glad somebody looking out for us thanks

7. C. L. S.
    Posted August 22, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I thank everyone who has served in our military.

My only concern is the process of getting a house we are going on almost 7 months on trying to get this new house and it has been something.

My husband is a 100% disbaled vet. It should be easier for them since they did fight for our country. and for the freedom we walk on.

the people that are involved are amazing people they have helped us out so much its been unbelievable. they should be commended.

but as for the the rules that have changed the VA process they are ridiculious.

sincerly,

C.L.S.

• Posted August 23, 2013 at 6:05 am | Permalink

Hi CLS – Thanks to your husband for serving! We’re sorry to hear you’re having a hard time purchasing a home. If there’s a question we can answer or information we can provide, please don’t hesitate to let us know!

• Carrie Fisher
      Posted February 6, 2014 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Maybe go with another realtor. I’m buying my second home using VA both times have been easy I got pre approved first. When I sold my first house I sold to a man using VA as well everything went fine. I’m not sure why people are getting hung up with a va loan

8. Julie
    Posted October 8, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Thank you Marsha Rem of RE/MAX 702-279-5103 and Winsor Cooper III VA Mortgage Loan Specialist 702-953-5833 for your kind assistance in helping us obtain our dream home. I agree that the sellers are not not interested in VA loans in fact in Vegas it is most likely the last option on the sellers list. Both my husband and I are retired disabled Vets and thought this process was quite seamless. If you have a knowledgeable realtor and a great VA loan officer then the process is painless. We put the bid in, got the VA appraiser everything done within approx 10 days. Waiting on the underwriter and then we will close this deal. Could not be more pleased with the service I have received. My advice to the all Vets looking for a home, take good care of your credit, have all your paperwork in order and find a realtor that has integrity and your best interest at heart. Trust me they are out there. I highly recommend both if you are in the Vegas area. Look up Marsha Rem…she will move heaven and earth to get your deal done and has a heart of gold. Winsor Cooper III, is also the number VA Mortgage Specialist and he knows his stuff. Use your resources and ask around, don’t settle we served and it should be appreciated when you are purchasing a home. Look for the best and don’t settle for less. God Bless you all and thank you all for serving with pride.

Respectfully,

Julie Retired USAF

Posted October 11, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Julie,
      Thank you so much for sharing about your experience. We are so happy that you had a wonderful experience with Winsor and your agent Marsha! Congratulations on your new home!

9. Mike
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I am a seller waiting for two months for VA loan to be approved. Had I known all the Mess with the underwriting process I would not have signed the contract. I will never sell to a buyer who is going through a va loan again unless things Change to speed up the process. I want to do the right thing and help veterans but the process makes it unappetizing .

Posted October 21, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Hi Mike,
      The turn times can be somewhat dependent on the specific property as well as the lender the buyer is working with. If the buyer uses a VA specialized mortgage company like Veterans United Home Loans, the wait times can be drastically decreased due to streamlining the process. I wouldn’t reject all VA buyers just yet. If you ever sell again and receive an offer for a VA loan, just ask if they are working with a company that specializes in VA loans, as compared to a local bank who generally doesn’t have the same level of experience with this financing option.
      Thanks for your input!

• Bill
      Posted April 25, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I am in mn and I will never ever again except a va offer again. What a long drawn out, process. Not worth any sellers time or trouble.

10. Judi
    Posted November 4, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

I am considering an offer right now on our home and the buyer has a VA loan. What kinds of “repairs” might the VA appraiser ask for? The house is in good repair, newly renovated but, for instance, several windows don’t have screens. Are we going to be delayed for petty things like that?
    Is there a place that I can see the guidelines or check list that the appraisers use to assess repairs before I accept this offer?

Posted November 5, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Hi Judi,
      The appraiser is going to look at the minimum property requirements which is chapter 12 here: http://www.benefits.va.gov/warms/pam26_7.asp
      They are looking for items that would make the home unsafe, structurally unsound or unmarketable.
      Let me know if you’ve got other questions! I’d be happy to help.
      -Samantha

11. joseph
    Posted November 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

We r sellers and we were notified 2 days before closing that there would be a delay. It has been over45 days and we r still waiting. We signed a 30 day extension but will not sign another extension. The awesome vet loses and the sellers.Our Vets deserve better.No more VA loans for us

Posted November 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Joseph,
      I wouldn’t shut out all VA loans yet. The buyer may have been working with a lender who lacked experience with that specific loan product. Let me know if you have any questions on VA loans, I’d be happy to answer them!
      -Samantha
      Samantha@vu.com

12. Shannon
    Posted November 23, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Does anyone know if the government made a change in the eligibility requirements for a va loan after the recent shutdown? I ask b/c I am a seller who accepted an offer from someone who was “preapproved” for a va loan prior the government shutdown. In fact, the appraisal had been done and the underwriting process was 3 weeks into the process. After the shutdown, we were told that the buyer no longer qualified because some eligibility requirement had been changed and the buyer had to serve to more months before they could reapply for the loan. I can’t find any evidence of that sort of a change. Anyone have any ideas?

Posted November 25, 2013 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Hi Shannon,
      I don’t believe the eligibility requirements changed. It’s possible that they had not yet obtained his certificate of eligibility, and once received determined that he was not yet eligible, but to my knowledge that wouldn’t be as a result of the shutdown.
      -Samantha

• Shannon
        Posted November 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Can someone be preapproved for a VA loan without showing a certificate of eligibility?

Posted November 28, 2013 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Hi Shannon,
          You can be pre-approved for a VA loan without having your certificate of eligibility but a condition of pre-approval would be that your COE is obtained and shows you are eligible. If you’re having trouble obtaining your COE you can call 888-212-1958 and a VA mortgage specialist can help you with both obtaining your COE and also determining pre-approval.
          -Samantha

13. lynn
    Posted November 27, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

its been along time coming for me and my husband who is retired and working overseas after 25 years in the army he really worked hard for this and is still working hard but it was easy with the va loan we had a good realtor who cared about getting this done who got us a good va lender who asked for the file and now we are at the va appraiser part and the lender said we will be closing december 13th a was just a blessing from God but you have to find the right people who is going to take care of everything for and make sure that you have what you need and what also made it easy is the we went with a new builder wich cut the time in half having a good realtor makes the different in charlotte nc a major city it was like a peice of cake

Posted November 27, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Lynn,
      Congratulations! That is wonderful news!
      -Samantha

14. Alli
    Posted November 27, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

I see so many people here saying that the VA loan process is not a problem and shouldn’t be any different than a conventional loan etc, but I have a buyer for my home that is doing a VA loan and it has been a nightmare.

We are now at the point that we may very well lose the house we planned on purchasing because the VA loan for the purchase of our current home is taking too long. Closing has been pushed back, they haven’t scheduled the appraisal even though it was ordered over 3 weeks ago. We are not in a rural area, so it shouldn’t have taken that long. They said they didn’t know why it was taking so ling and that they were caught up. They would get back to us immediately – that was over a week ago. They repeatedly have refused to give needed information to our broker.

We want to get the appraisal done because we understand that VA appraisals tend to come in low, and re-appraisal or negotiation may need to happen, which could delay the process even more.

Our broker is advising there are red flags all over this because of these VA delays and so our new home purchase is in jeopardy.

If we end up having to re-list our home and start all over, I can certainly understand not accepting offers for VA loans. I want to help our military families as much as possible, but I also don’t want to lose my dream home as much as they don’t want to lose theirs.

15. Danni
    Posted November 29, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand why a seller would be leery of selling to someone with a VA loan unless they had absolutely no idea how it works and are only going by hearsay. The VA does not provide the loan, the Veteran obtains a loan through a private lender and the VA provides guarantee to the seller that the loan will be paid. It is too bad that Veterans would have to suffer not being able to purchase their dream home because a seller is naïve.

• Bill
      Posted April 25, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Va loans are a nightmare. Sellers sit and wait just like buyers, I’m in 3 months with this buyer and I’m forced to go back on market. I’m done waiting

16. Candace
    Posted December 2, 2013 at 10:34 am | Permalink

We received a pre-approval for a VA mortgage. We have done everything and provided everthing within a day of being asked for it. The appraisal was done in 5 days no conditions. I am the co borrower and had a bankrupcy discharded 2 years prior to us applying for the mortgage. Everything we have read said if prior to 2 years we are fine. The mortgage broker new about this also. Now we are told the mortgage company is running us through a different govenment program?? We were told by the broker we are fine and will still close on the 16th of this month. What could possibly be the real honest problem?

Posted December 2, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Candace,
      That’s a really good question. I would ask the broker to explain to you in detail why this is occurring. If you are being switched from a VA loan to a different type of loan, there may be different loan terms such as a down payment or a requirement to pay private mortgage insurance. Make sure you ask as many questions as it takes to truly understand the situation.
      Let me know if you have further questions.

17. Candace
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Samantha, Thank you for you response. Finally received an answer. I had a bankrupcy that was discharged in Oct 2011, we are now being told after all this time that the broker cant find a company that will take the loan. She has only checked 2 companies how of the many she claims there are. Its frustrating to think that we were upfront provided all documentation weeks ago and now I cannot be on the loan?? Let me add that we had even got married as we were told we needed to for me to be on the loan. (its a good thing we were to be married anyway but this just sped things up, and not how we wanted to be married). We do not understand that if VA guarentee’s the loan how can the mortgage companies overturn what VA says. And he VA says if its discharged prior to 2 years what the real issue is. I had no government liens, no homes involved in the BK. Thanks

Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Hi Candace,
      You might want to give a loan officer at our company a call: 888-212-1958 and just run your scenario by them. It’s possible that we may have different guidelines than the banks the broker tried. It could at least give you peace of mind in knowing either that the broker is correct and you can’t move forward with VA with you on the loan OR that we may have different guidelines and could include you. Either way, I’d think it’s worth a shot.
      Best of luck!

18. Sam
    Posted January 22, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

We are working with our bank right now to do the loan. What our lender is doing for us is putting together a loan, without a house picked out. Once we get all the approvals then we will go back and tell them the house we choose, this is so that when we are ready, we have most all they work done and should close in the expected 45 day closing.

Posted January 23, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink

Hi Sam,
      That’s a great way to do things and one I encourage! Getting pre-approved prior to selecting a home is the best route to take because then you know with a fair degree of certainty that things will go smoothly once you select a property.
      - Samantha

19. David
    Posted February 18, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I applied for a VA loan as a refinance on a home that I already own and which was appraised for over $100,000 7 years ago. I recently built a completely finished 24X30 garage workshop that cost over $25,000 when the VA appraised my property they said it was worth $55,000 . The interest rate was no better than a conventional loan and the fees were about the same as I could have got at the bank where my wife works so there was no real advantage to getting a VA loan for me. But now I’m already into the process and it’s like a runaway train once you get it started you are on the tracks and there’s pretty much no stopping the train. I don’t owe a lot and the refi will save me money each month but the hassles have been a pain in the butt and the appraiser was totally incompetent by comparing my 4 bedroom two bath property with two garages and 3 1/4 acres of property that is 3 miles outside of town in a highly desirable neighborhood to places like a two bedroom 1 bath house on a lot half that size 15 miles from town he showed immediately that he had no professional credentials at all. If I had done my homework and not assumed that a VA loan would be a better deal I would just have got a loan locally and already be finished with it.

20. Eric
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I am in a refinance that started in March 2013. It has been stuck at the VA underwriters since May of 2013, so far as my lender is concerned. My VA disability took almost two years to finish, but I would not expect the VA to take a year to complete the final phase of a refinance.

Should I call BS on my lender? They do hold my current loan.

Posted February 27, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Eric,
      That is an extremely long time. I would request a very good and detailed explanation of why this is taking so long from your lender. I don’t know why it would take this long, but I’m also not aware of the entirety of the circumstances. If you don’t feel satisfied with your lender’s answer, it might be time to search out another lender.
      - Samantha

21. melissa
    Posted April 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

My husband and I are trying to purchase a home using his VA coe. He’s disabled. We had to convince the seller and the realtor to accept our VA offer. We were assured loans were closing in 30 days. But we hit road block after road block. We were trying to purchase rurally. Got lucky a VA appraiser lived just down the road. But for some reason she never got the appraisal request until 34 days later. Title never received a request for title work. And then it took over 30 days for that to be completed. Seller is fed up with this whole process. Even gave us an ultimatum close by 15th or done..not going to sign anymore extensions. Going on 90 days still no assigned closing. We finally had to switch lenders. Got tired of the excuses. We ordered it they just didn’t do when ordered. So mywquestion is why was there no follow-up? With not refer lender and very unsatisfied customer.

Posted April 14, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Hi Melissa,
      I’ve looked into this for you. I’m sorry to hear that this happened to you, and I understand the frustration that can cause. While every lender is subject to the turntimes of third parties like title companies or appraisers, ultimately the ordering of and checking up on those items is the responsibility of the lender. These are big items in a home loan, but since I’m not part of the company you used previously, there’s little I can offer to answer “why” they wouldn’t have performed those tasks.

At the end of the day, the home loan process is all about teamwork, and I understand you are now working with Veterans United Home Loans. Veterans United is dedicated to making the process as efficient and smooth as possible, and your loan officer is always going to be your best resource on the status of your file. You also have the option of contacting the Client Advocates at 800-212-5200 with any concerns or with something you might need if Andy is away from his desk at the time. We know you’ve put in a lot of hard work and time into this home transaction, and Andy has assured me that he is aware of the high stakes and is keeping a close eye on your loan.
      - Samantha

22. tracey
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Why does the VA wait till the last second to ask for documents AFTER we paid for appraisal and inspection? Leaving us in the lurch and wondering are we going to go close or not? Why don’t you revamp and handle loans like quicken..underwritten before a purchase. Saves us buyers and sellers a lot of stress. If I’d known how quicken handled it I would have gone with them!

Posted May 8, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Tracey, our management team has addressed your feedback with your loan officer, and we understand the anxiety of waiting. Your loan officer will reach out to you shortly regarding the items that are still needed for your file to close, including repairs to the property and more information regarding your income. The VA wants properties to be safe, sanitary, and a sound investment for the veterans and service members using this benefit, and the repairs required by the appraiser are important safety-related updates.

Once the repairs have been confirmed complete, we order a reinspection with the VA appraiser to approve, but we cannot take that step until we get the go-ahead. Your loan officer is following up with the real estate agents on the loan regarding the repairs – and your loan officer is always your best resource on the current state of your file should you ever want an update. He will be able to answer any questions you might have about the necessary items needed to move forward on your home loan, and as soon as the requested tasks are complete, we will be able to give you a much clearer timeline to closing.
      - Samantha

23. tracey
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

I would like to offer a humble apology..after discussing my situation I discovered the frustration actually stems from other source..the agent I am working with for my loan has been very forthcoming..professional and helpful. The anxiety and stress of closing can cause a person to jump to conclusions..my advice talk to agent first lol.

24. Tracey
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

We are selling our house to a party with a VA loan. He wants to close on May 30, which only leaves this weekend for us to move. However we still have not gotten word that our house has passed the appraisal process. Getting very frustrated. Don’t know how they expect us to be out of the house, when they won’t tell us if we are moving for sure or not.

Posted May 20, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Tracey,
      I understand the frustration. See if your real estate agent can call the lender to get a status directly from them or propose a contract extension so that you have extra time to move.
      - Samantha

25. Dehlia
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

hi, my husband is a veteran, and we haven’t had much of an issue with va loans, up until a few days ago, as the final underwriting process finished up. they came back with an conditional approval because his name was found on the vasir report. in which he paid off the delinquent debt. and showed them that he did, yet his name has not came off the list. for them to submit the final approval…and this is 1 week before us closing on our house..anyone know of how we can get this removed, we have tried to call and speak w/ a supervisor but nobody has called us back yet. how was this not pulled up when they did the preapproval?

Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Dehlia,
      I haven’t been able to locate a file associated with your name/email address with this page’s sponsor, Veterans United Home Loans. If you are working with them, call the Client Advocate team at 800-212-5200 to speak directly with management about what’s been going on with your file, or email more information to ClientAdvocate@vu.com

26. Dehlia
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

sorry Its the caivrs report not vasir report

27. Rowan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

A comment on Roberts question. I live in the Sacramento area and was ignored by a lender and Cal Vet (lender through VA) I found an agent that has worked on numerous VA loans and is a vet himself and recommends a lender who works on VA Loans. They have been great in many ways. Getting things done ahead of time and knowing what to look for/issues, ect with these loans. You have to find a realtor who is experienced and a lender they recommend, they will usually have one that has worked on VA Loans with them. A week and a half later after finding a house the loan app will be going to the VA. Wish you the best. R

28. dehlia
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Can a Caivrs report clearance be made a post- closing requirement, if the applicant has made payment in full, can provide proof that money has been taken out of account by us treasury? but is waiting for removal of name off of list? which apparently only happens every 45 days?

29. Tiffany Bond
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

My husband is a veteran and we have been under contract for or very first home since march. Or loan was approved through the VA. Or appraisal order was put in and it has already been one month and still no appraisal. The home is in Stuarts draft Virginia! We have already had to change the closing date on the contract the new date is now June 20th and still nothing. What might the problem be?

Posted June 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Tiffany,
      Typically they are supposed to get the appraisal back to you in approximately 2 weeks. I’d suggest having your loan officer contact the appraiser to determine when they intend to do your appraisal.
      This is very unusual except for situations where a home is being purchased in a remote location and an agent has to travel several hours to get there.

30. Suzette
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

My husband is a veteran and our file is at the “initial underwriting” stage as of 6-10-14. Does anyone know what that means?

Also, an error was found on my tax return. I had to do an amended tax, which i filed on June 5th. The IRS states it takes 3 weeks for the transcript to show up in the system, meaning around June 26. If this is the case, will we not be closing on June 30?

Posted June 12, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Suzette,
      I’d suggest asking for additional clarification from your loan officer as they will have the best knowledge of your specific set of circumstances.

31. Suzette
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

I asked but didnt get a direct answer, basically said wait and see!!

Thanks for replying Samantha.

32. Lauren
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Our loan documents were sent to the VA for approval at the end of May. We were told it has to be approved by two different people at the VA and were given a processing window of 5 business days. The first person approved it on May 29 and passed it on to the second (final) person. It’s now June 18 and we have not gotten the second approval. We have filed two closing date extensions. Our latest extension expires this Friday, June 20. I know everyone is getting aggrevated with this whole process. We don’t want to pay another (or would it be 5,10,15 more) months rent and the seller’s don’t want to make another mortgage payment on a house they don’t even live in. I can totally see why so many people won’t accept a VA loan offer. I definitely won’t in the future!!

Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Hi Lauren,
      I’m a little confused. Is it an underwriter with your bank that is not moving quickly? I just know that there are only a few circumstances where the actual VA would be doing this type of review. But, since I don’t know the specifics of your situation, I’m unable to tell if your’s is one of those few situations.
      Can you give me a little more background so that I can help you determine why the wait is occurring and if I can give any helpful advice?

33. Travis
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Why does it take so long to contact people at the Atlanta Regional Office? I finally hung up after being on hold 1.5hrs and the reason I am calling was the VA screwed up my COE and forgot to put my exemption beause of my 70% disibilities on it. Now my bank will have to wait another 10-15 days to try and update the COE so I can be exempt from the funding fee…..

Posted June 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Hi Travis,
      I’ve heard that some regional offices are trying to get caught up on COE requests, and as a result have less time to answer calls. I know this isn’t ideal, but I believe they are doing the best they can right now.
      I’m not sure if your bank is using the eligibility portal already, but if not, it may help speed things along, although I obviously can’t guarantee it.

34. Suzette
    Posted June 26, 2014 at 10:00 am | Permalink

My husband is a Veteran. We’re suppose to close on our house Monday, June 30, and I just found out that my tax transcript won’t be available until July 3rd. Will that prevent us from closing because of the missing document? Or does it depend on the underwriter?

35. Scott
    Posted July 19, 2014 at 8:53 am | Permalink

I am purchasing my second VA home. I have everything done with the mortgage company and I have a full committed loan with approval for the mortgage with no contingencies. Everything is done and if I wasn’t doing a VA loan I could have closed. I have found out that the townhouse I am purchasing is not VA approved. I have received all of the documents from the HOA that my mortgage VA processing center said we would need to get the approval. My mortgage company feels that even though this Townhouse Assoc isn’t VA approved it has the proper requirements for VA approval. Can the VA approve this regardless if the association is not currently approved? I know they are FHA approved and am just worried that after all of this it could fall apart. I have to move out my family from our current home because we have people moving in and the children will be displaced. Is there any information that would help us be able to follow up with the VA once our mortgage company submits the final paperwork? Is there a way to track and get information once it is all submitted to you? Can an Association not allow us to purchase this townhouse even though we are more than qualified and the Association meets the VA requirements? Can and will the VA override their decision if this is the case?

Posted July 22, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Scott,
      It sounds like they’ve submitted the documents to the VA for approval. It is definitely possible for a condo that hasn’t been previously approved to get approved during the loan process. I would rely on your loan officer to follow up with the VA for you. I’m unaware of whether the VA has a tracking system for following the information. Check with your loan officer and they can check with the VA on that one.

36. Matt
    Posted July 21, 2014 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

We received our pre-approval fro Veterans United back in May 2014. After being turned down numerous times because the sellers didn’t want to deal with a VA Loan we have finally found a seller willing to work with us. We received the contract today and our Realtor contacted our Loan Officer to tell him that the seller is requesting to close by August 29th as this is the last Friday of the month. The seller doesn’t want to go into September and my wife and I don’t want to lose this house. Our Loan Officer told my Realtor that this wouldn’t be possible. What I want to know is why can’t the process work for us? This is exactly why sellers don’t want to work with a VA Loan. While other lenders are able to close under 30 days, our Loan Officer at your company has stated numerous times that it will take at least 45 days….no less. Well this is going to leave a lot of Veterans losing the house that they really like, of course this is our 5th choice of houses because of the fact that the VA Loan has a bad rep and there is absolutely no movement by those in charge to streamline the process, of course they are living in their homes so they have no urgency to fix this mess.
    I am so disappointed in this process and had I know that Veterans United would be this slow and unwilling to help I would have gone with my bank USAA.

Posted July 22, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Matt,

Our management team reviewed your feedback and took a look into your file along with your loan officer. We understand the frustration from sellers being wary of the VA, but in this case, it’s not that it is a VA home loan that is putting your recommended contract length at 45 days.

Your file has some credit issues that means it must be a manual underwrite, which takes more time than if you had a stronger file able to get Automated Underwriting System approval. It is entirely possible to close VA home loans in 30 days, but your loan in particular requires extra underwriting scrutiny and more verification paperwork in order to get to approval.

Like you said, your loan officer stated multiple times that 45 days is needed. Ultimately, this expectation is set to protect you, the buyer. In the situation that 30 days is just not enough time to approve your manual underwrite file, already the sellers, agents, and you have sunk time, money, and effort into the transaction. If the deal were to fall apart due to missing the closing date, you’d be left holding the bag for any inspections you are responsible for, the appraisal, and possibly lose your earnest money deposit. Those three things alone can add up quickly into a couple thousand dollars.

If you’d like to discuss your experience and any feedback regarding your file, you can always call our Client Advocate team toll-free at 1-800-212-5200, or email at ClientAdvocate@vu.com. Veterans United Home Loans has industry-leading underwriting turntimes, and we are still available to help you qualify as quickly as is possible within reason. Just let us know if you would like to try again.

37. John Pelfrey
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I’ve been trying to close on a newly built home using my va benefits. I am 100% and my wife is my fiduciary. Things keep getting stalled and the latest word from my lender is that the regional loan office (va) has to review everything since i have a fiduciary. My lender says it’s to make sure I’m aware a loan is being taken out under my name.So now a packet of paper work has to be sent to them and delays things further.My lease is up in two weeks and we were lead believe we would be moved in this week. Does this really happen and its there anything i can do to speed things up? Thanks

Posted July 24, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Hi John,
      Yes, the VA does typically review the documentation when there is a fiduciary involved. Regarding speeding up the process, I don’t have much advice here unfortunately, other than have your loan officer keeping you apprised of the process.