It’s the season for colorful leaves, cooler weather, costumes, and of course, carving pumpkins. And what better way to combine your autumn spirit with your military pride than to carve a military-themed design in a pumpkin?
If you’re not sure how to go about this, let Military Spouse Central help. Our Veterans United crew crafted some military-themed pumpkins, and we included the free pumpkin stencils to get you started!
Pumpkin carving tips and techniques
- Choose a larger pumpkin. The bigger the surface, the easier it will be to carve a design.
- Cut the top of the pumpkin off at a 45-degree angle so the lid will not fall through.
- Try to carve the inside of the pumpkin out so that the outer wall is about one inch thick.
- Draw a design or download one of the free pumpkin stencils we provided.
- Use some tape to secure the stencil to your pumpkin.
With the design or stencil taped to the pumpkin, trace the design with a pen, pressing into the gourd to make an indentation in its skin that you can follow with a carving knife. You can also trace the template by poking holes along the design.
- If you don’t have a carving knife, use a long, serrated knife. (You can also get complete pumpkin tool sets like the one we used at Walmart for $4 to $7.)
- Carve slowly and away from yourself to ensure safety.
- To preserve your pumpkin for a longer period of time, spray the cut edges with a solution of water and bleach (1 part bleach to 8 parts water).
- Most importantly, have fun!
Free Pumpkin Stencils: Military Themed Design
We’d love to hear how your pumpkins turn out as well! Send us a picture at email@example.com.