Veterans United Realty Blog

Get the inside scoop on VA
loans and military borrowers.
VUR on FB
Find us on Facebook!

VA Loans and Credit Score Minimums: What All Buyers Need to Know

Minimum Score for VA Loans

What credit score will you need to secure a VA loan?

A good credit score is an excellent starting point for anyone considering a VA loan. But what exactly is a good credit score? Does the VA have a credit score minimum? How do VA credit requirements stack up against other mortgage options? One of the best benefits of the VA loan program is its relaxed credit requirements.

Potential borrowers don’t have to possess blemish-free credit reports and elite credit scores to secure VA financing. The VA loan program seeks to accommodate as many military buyers as possible with a simple and accessible mortgage.

If your credit isn’t too hot, don’t worry. Veterans United’s Lighthouse program is designed to help you improve your credit score — no strings attached. Get started on your VA home loan application today.

Do VA Loans Have Credit Score Minimums?

First of all, let’s understand the VA’s role in the VA loan process. The Department of Veterans Affairs oversees the program and guarantees a portion of each loan in case of default. But the VA does not issue loans, and the agency does not enforce credit score minimums. Both of those duties are handled by an individual VA lender.

Most VA lenders do use credit score benchmarks. Applicants with scores below a lender’s benchmark usually can’t be approved for VA financing. That minimum will vary from lender to lender, but most VA-approved lenders, including Veterans United Home Loans, are looking for a credit score of at least 620.

How do VA Loan Requirements Compare to Others?

FICO credit scores range from 300-850. FICO no longer releases the median nationwide score, but as of April 2014, the national median FICO score was 692. Keeping that median in mind, a 620 minimum is fairly borrower-friendly. It’s not necessarily an easy score to obtain, but it’s definitely an accommodating benchmark when measured against other loan options:

Credit Score Minimums for LoansConventional loans: Conventional loans are not backed by the government. Since lenders are at greater risk without a government guarantee, conventional loans are tougher to obtain. Bigger down payments and higher credit scores are usually required to snag conventional financing.

According to John Councilman, federal housing chairman for The National Association of Mortgage Brokers, a credit score below 740 will bring on intense scrutiny and sizable fees in the conventional lending market.

As a result, most conventional borrowers maintain impressive FICO scores. In 2014, successful conventional loan recipients for purchase loans posted an average FICO credit score of 755, according to mortgage software provider Ellie Mae.

FHA loans: Like VA loans, FHA loans are backed by the federal government. There’s no credit score minimum, but most FHA lenders prefer a score of at least 620. In 2014, some lenders theoretically dropped their minimum score to 580, but lenders have generally set higher standards since the mortgage meltdown. Successful FHA borrowers typically have higher scores. The average credit score for all FHA purchases in  2014 was 684, which is well above the minimum 580 score.

FHA loans also require a down payment of 3.5 percent, as well as both an up-front mortgage insurance premium and monthly mortgage insurance, which now runs for the life of the loan.

USDA loans: USDA loans are yet another government-backed option, but they’re only allowable in rural areas. The USDA does not enforce a credit score minimum, but most USDA lenders are looking for a score of 660 or above. There are options to secure a loan below this score, but it requires additional paperwork and comes with additional requirements.

What if I Fall Short of the VA’s Credit Requirements?

Potential VA loan borrowers needn’t abandon their dreams of homeownership due to a low credit score. The best feature of credit is its fluidity. Your credit changes constantly. Improve your fiscal habits, and your credit score will soar. But knowing what improvements to make can be tricky. Should you pay off high-interest debt? Should you cancel certain credit cards? How should you handle that bankruptcy looming over your credit report? If you’re considering a VA loan but need a credit boost, get some free help from the Veterans United Lighthouse Program.

Lighthouse works tirelessly (and at no charge) on behalf of service members who fall short of VA loan requirements. Working with Lighthouse is a free process, but not necessarily an easy one. Improving your credit requires commitment and hard work. If you’re ready to make the necessary changes in pursuit of a VA home loan, partner with a helpful advocate.

You can reach a Lighthouse home loan consultant by calling 888-392-7421 or by visiting lighthouse.veteransunited.com.

Photos courtesy russteaches

Posted by Jessi Hall
| jhall@veteransunited.com

186 Comments

1. Charlotte Alger
    Posted September 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

This is a great tool. As a Army Veteran and a Realtor I think this is extremely helpful. This web site will be one that I will definitely keep up with.

• Posted September 19, 2012 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kind words, Charlotte, and for your service to our country! Our best to you!

2. Christy
    Posted August 21, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

My fiance is a veteran and shortly after we get married in November, we are looking to purchase a home. I have a decent credit score but his is shot. If the loan goes under my name, what score does he need to have?

• Posted August 22, 2013 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Hi Christy – Thanks for reaching out. The credit score minimum for a VA loan is 620. If your fiance needs some help reaching that number, I strongly encourage a call to the Veterans United Lighthouse Program. Lighthouse is a branch of Veterans United Home Loans, the nation’s #1-dedicated VA lender, and helps service members raise their credit scores within the range of VA loan approval. It’s a free service, but keep in mind it’s not always easy to raise your credit score. Your fiance will need to buckle in for a lot of hard work and some changes – but it’s all definitely worth it! You can reach a Lighthouse rep at 888-392-7421. Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks again for reaching out!

3. Edgar Longenecker
    Posted September 6, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Legality of credit score monopolized by “information not deemed to be correct.”

• Edgar Longenecker
      Posted September 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I have paid off two VA guaranteed loans, and, have no fraudulently imposed commercial, corporate, credit score.

• Edgar Longenecker
        Posted September 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

Never gone bankrupt, and have paid all legitimate indebtednesses. Credit reporting, is a con; to guarantee, collection of disputed bills; and a denial of the right to be sued and, get a judgement, for or against. That’s called, “Due Process.

• Edgar Longenecker
          Posted September 6, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Three “credit cons,” control this entire nations credit commerce, by reporting what frauds their members choose to exercise; with impunity. That’s fraud. Who died and made these hustlers, boss ???

• Edgar Longenecker
            Posted September 6, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Notice in the foregoing information, not a mention, if you’ve made 50 years of property payments, without missing even one.

4. H Paul Richter
    Posted November 20, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I am disappointed in Veterans United! I have a Credit Score of 699 and guarantee income of over $3,550/mo – I am a 30% service connected disabled Viet Nam veteran. I have taken a part time job and earn an additional $1,500/mo and Veterans United will not move forward with my loan request as the part time income does not have a 2 years history. Really in this environment. I contacted the VA Home Loan Department and they said that that was at the discretion of the Lender. And Veterans United is the #1 VA Lender?

Posted November 21, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Hi Paul, Veterans United Home Loans is honored to serve our veterans and service members looking to utilize their VA home loan benefit. Unfortunately, we are subject to multiple federal, state, and internal lender guidelines that we must follow for every home loan in order to satisfy government bodies, entities in the secondary mortgage market, etc. While we are committed to pursuing every possible solution for everyone who comes to us, we aren’t able to promise a positive outcome for every borrower. In this case, I would encourage you to contact other lenders with different guidelines to find one who could work with you sooner rather than later and still offer you a great deal. We’re very sorry you were unable to obtain financing at this time, and we wish you the best in your mortgage search. -Samantha

• C. Thompson
        Posted January 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Samantha. In reply to Paul comment, why isn’t the income that he current receive is sufficient to qualify him for his loan? I am just curious in that I am a 100% disable veteran and current seeking a home mortgage.

Posted January 7, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Hello,
          Income is very situation dependent. In his case I believe the issue was that he didn’t have a 2 year history for part time employment. If you are receiving 100% disability and aren’t looking to include any additional new part time jobs, this shouldn’t be an issue. I’d be happy to answer more questions you may have or get you in touch with one of our VA mortgage specialists so they can go through the entire process with you, answer your questions and guide you along the way.
          Samantha@vu.com

5. michael
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Me and my wife just bought a house through a bank with a fixed for 3 years my credit is about 630 could I get a via loan with that

6. jocelyn
    Posted January 13, 2014 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Hi,

My fiancé is a veteran . We both have a 620 credit score. I make over 140000 a year. But he brings a small stipend through monthly disability checks. Could we apply even though we are not married yet? We do live together a d so do our taxes together. What is our first in applying?

Thanks!

Posted January 13, 2014 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Hi Jocelyn,
      Typically only a spouse or another veteran can be on a VA loan without there being a downpayment required. But in this case, if you already had plans on getting married before closing on a home then you could move forward with the application process but would have to provide documentation prior to closing showing marriage. What I’d suggest as a first step is to get in touch with one of our VA mortgage specialists at 888-212-1958 to discuss time frames. Then you can move forward in planning your home buying process and also have suggestions on how to improve your credit. You only need a 620 to qualify but the higher you can get your score between now and closing the better rates you’ll have access to.
      -Samantha

7. Robert
    Posted January 17, 2014 at 12:06 am | Permalink

Sorry folks I’m just lost in all the bureaucracy involved with home ownership. Im a Vet and have been feverishly working on my score for 5 years. I improved it by 200 points and have the coveted 620 score. However, I just got denied by Navy Fed CU. Now raise your hand if you know what furlough and sequestration is? Yup im a gov employee still serving my country as a Civ. That loss of pay really hurt. Had to use my credit cards (2) to stay above water. Havent missed any payments paying back. This is what they are for isnt it?So whats the deal? I’ve given up on the dream but maybe I can save someone elses.

• John Iannetta
      Posted March 6, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Navy Fed is TOUGH to get money from for just about anything. Their rates are I guess okay; but nothing really sets them apart from anyone else – at least in my opinion.

8. Michelle Boucher
    Posted February 1, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Can I get a higher VA loan than the amount approved for my county? I thought I saw a “jumbo” VA loan option. I live in Howard County, MD, and our limit is $500,000. Is it possible to get a higher amount?

Posted February 2, 2014 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Hi Michelle,
      Yes it is possible. Typically when you go over the county loan limit you have to put down 25% of the difference between the loan limit and the purchase price.
      So for example, if your county loan limit is $500K and you want to purchase a home for $600K then you would have to pay $600K – $500K = $100K x 25% so $25,000.
      Please let me know if I can help further!
      Samantha@vu.com

• Danielle
        Posted February 13, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

We have been told this many times, however not one underwriter or representative told us the minimum credit score requirement is 660 if you want more….

9. Kimberly
    Posted February 2, 2014 at 10:31 am | Permalink

I have about 57K in credit available and have one balance on i credit card which is 80.00. 4 or 5 are new credit within 4 months. My median fico score is 688. The rest of my credit cards have a 0 balance. I was on active duty feb09-march 2012. When i came off active duty I was unemployed for 11 months. I went back to work apr of 2013 for the department of veterans affairs. I am in the same kind of field I was in in the military. I am 60% disabled and get compensation plus my annual salary is 35,874 annually. Am I qualified for a VA home Loan?

Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Hi Kimberly,
      I’d suggest giving one of our VA mortgage specialists a call at 1-800-VA-LOANS. They can run through the entire pre-qualification process and run numbers for you to help you figure out how much you can qualify for. It for sure sounds like you are eligible.
      Thank you for your service!

10. Bryan Kutej
    Posted February 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I (veteran)have horrible credit but my spouse has fair to Ok credit (640ish) can we still qualify for a VA loan if my credit is not run under the loan or do we have to apply with my name as the primary in order to qualify?

Posted February 10, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Hi Bryan,
      You do have to credit qualify for the loan in addition to your spouse if she’s on the loan. We have a great program that can help you work on your credit (for free) so that you can get yourself in a situation to qualify for the loan. Check out our Lighthouse Program: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/

11. Cheryl
    Posted February 17, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Hi. I have good credit (740) and my spouse (veteran) has the 620 credit score. How does this affect the interest rate for a VA loan? Do they only look at the lower credit score?

Posted February 18, 2014 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Hi Cheryl,
      Yes, typically the lower credit score of two co-signers is what’s used when locking in an interest rate. If you’re interested in improving his credit score, check out our Lighthouse Program. It’s a free service we offer to veterans to assist in improving their overall credit profile. Here’s a link: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/

• John Iannetta
        Posted March 6, 2014 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Hi, Samantha. Wondering if you might be able to provide with a little guidance concerning obtaining a VA backed loan.
        My wife and I are looking to finally move into a home of our own (we’ve been renting a home from her father) within the next 4-5 months. I had attempted to secure a loan last year around May/June; but my credit was to put it nicely, sub-par with my highest of the three scores being 24 points below the minimum 620. My lowest was over 50 below. Since then, I have been working to build my credit score to at least the minimum 620. Now my scores are 736, 695, and 645 – giving me a median score of 692. I have enrolled in a credit monitoring program and get updates to my scores and reports once a month. I am expecting a raise of a few points for each when I receive an update from them next week. I would like to start the process of qualifying for a loan. I know the first step is obtaining a certificate of eligibility. However, when I mailed it off to the address in NC as provided on the VA website, my letter was returned as undeliverable as addressed. Has the address changed?
        Part two of this ridiculously long post: When I had first unsuccessfully attempted to pre-qualify with a mortgage lender last year, it brought my score down by around 50 or so points. That really hurt my scores overall, and I had to work double time to try and bounce back. Is there any way to qualify without a lender doing a hard inquiry that will in essence bring my scores down just to get a snapshot of my credit? We are kind of in a bind as we need to be out of our home by summer; and I’d really like to get the ball rolling with this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• John Iannetta
          Posted March 6, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Hello, again. Just an update: I decided after posting that long message above that it would be better to just go ahead and bite the bullet and have a lender qualify or disqualify me now rather than closer to mydeadline when it would hurt the most. I called the 888 number listed above and braced for impact. Turns out my scores were higher than what I had thought; and so (drum roll) I’m qualified.
          Still in disbelief. Haha
          So the lending specialists are slated to give me a call back later this afternoon with the details; and I guess we’ll take it from there. Semper Fi

Posted March 6, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

John
            That is great news!!
            Best of luck on house hunting,

12. Jen
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Hello. My husband and I are both vets and I read in an earlier comment that they will take the lesser of the two credit scores. Would it be smarter for me to be the primary on the loan and my husband the secondary seeing that I have the better (but not by much) credit score. And how long do I have to have a credit score of above 620 to be qualified for a loan.

Posted March 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Hi Jen,
      You just need to keep your score at or above 620 during the loan process, there isn’t a specific time period you have to be above 620 before applying.
      Either one of you can be the primary, if you are both going to be on the loan then it doesn’t really matter who is first since both of your scores will be reviewed.
      If you want me to get you in touch with one of our VA mortgage specialists, I can do that. Just let me know.
      samantha@vu.com

13. John Iannetta
    Posted March 9, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

Hey again. So now that I have a packet coming from Veterans United, I have a question concerning actually getting approved. The latest bank statement I have shows a few overdrafts on there where I had to rob Peter to pay Paul to get my scores up to where they need to be. Because it shows a beginning negative balance and an ending balance in the negatives, will that kill my pre-approval?
    I absolutely make enough money every month to cover a mortgage and a car payment and incidentals. It just does not look that way on paper.

Posted March 10, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Hi John,
      I’d suggest talking with your loan officer on this. Overdrafts will require a letter of explanation if submitted to an underwriter. Discuss with your loan officer your options on this.

14. Thomas McDonnell
    Posted March 11, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

My wife’s credit score is better then mine, mine is under the minimum score for a VA loan, would the VA combine my score and my wifes score and average it out, if not then could i just use my wifes score when applying for the VA.
    Thanks…..

Posted March 12, 2014 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Hi Thomas,
      All borrowers listed on the loan have to meet the credit score requirements. But our Lighthouse department can give you guidance on how to improve your score so that you both can move forward.
      If you have additional questions, please feel free to email me at samantha@vu.com

15. Marie
    Posted March 11, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Is it mandatory to go through the Lighthouse Program before applying for a VA loan? My husband and I are waiting for his “2 years since BK discharge” mark to pass in order to apply for a VA loan, which will happen in July. He has worked very hard to bring his scores up, and his median is 656 and mine is 710, both will hopefully continue to rise. Our income is all good, jobs are good. The only bad thing we have is his BK. I know the Lighthouse Program is helpful, just wondering if it’s required before starting the loan process in July. We keep getting emails/calls about it.

Posted March 12, 2014 at 8:36 am | Permalink

Hi Marie,
      No, It’s not mandatory for you to use Lighthouse. If you feel you are on the right track then that’s great. Lighthouse is just a resource available to you if you would like additional assistance.
      -Samantha

16. Amanda
    Posted March 17, 2014 at 11:52 am | Permalink

My husband applied for a loan last year around this time. Since then he has improved his credit to 619 which I know you guys said a 620. We have recently paid off all of his debt(have receipts to prove it) but it has yet to update on his credit report…should we wait for it to update or is there anything that we can do to get approved now?

Posted March 17, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Hi Amanda,
      It’s really up to you. If you wait until your report has updated it’s very possible your scores will go up. The higher the credit score, the more likely you’ll get a better interest rate. We can work with you either way – if your scores are reporting below 620 our Lighthouse Program can help get you on track. If they are above 620 and there aren’t other issues preventing pre-approval you should be able to move forward.
      If you want me to connect you with a VA mortgage specialist, shoot me an email: samantha@vu.com with your contact info and state and I can connect you with a VA mortgage specialist to help you start moving forward!

17. Bernadeth Bergorio
    Posted March 20, 2014 at 7:41 am | Permalink

hi good morning,. my husband is 10% disable vet.he apply for a homeloan he has a 622 credit score why the man in veterans united home say that my husband is denied because the credit score is low?.,why does it happen how can be low he has 622 credit score and only required atleast 620?..

Posted March 20, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Hello,
      Most people have 3 credit scores. As a lender, we use the middle score. If 622 was his highest score and the other two were lower than 620 then he wouldn’t be able to move forward with pre-qualification right away. But, what we can do is help him improve his other two scores through our free Lighthouse program. Then once he has his scores in qualifying range they can move forward with pre-qualification.
      If you’d like more info on our lighthouse program, you can send me an email with his contact info: samantha@vu.com

18. Kira
    Posted April 4, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

My husband and I are looking to buy a home within the next 3-months or so. He is a qualified Vet with disability exemption(10%). All three of his credit scores are above 620, and he and I both make over $50K a year. However, his credit score is higher than mine, so he will be the only name on the loan. He just started a new job over a month ago, but prior to that worked for the same employer for over 6 years. Based on his employment status, do you think he would met the employment stability guidelines? Also, after doing some calculations using a pre-qualification worksheet tool we found on the VA website, he meets the required residual income, but exceeds the DTI by 4%, will this be an issue?

Posted April 4, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Kira,
      It will depend on whether his new job is in a related field. There are some exceptions to the 41% rule, but it’s situational. It’d probably be a good idea to talk with a VA mortgage specialist about the specifics of his DTI.
      Why don’t you send me an email with your contact info and the state you want to purchase in, and I can have one of our VA mortgage specialists give you a call. or you can call 888-212-1958 any time.
      Best of luck!
      Samantha@vu.com

19. Kira
    Posted April 4, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Also, we do have a house in mind, which is what we used to base our pre-qual numbers on–in the worksheet tool. But is it wiser to see how much we pre-qual for first and then look for a home that meets that figure, or is it okay to find the house first?

20. Syl
    Posted April 9, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

My husband is a Veteran, we live in Texas, we
    owe around 30,000.00 on our home ,which is valued around 150.000.00 at present ,we are thinking of applying for a cash out.My credit is terrible 585,his around 650 .Our mortgage payments have always been on time.Is it necessary for my name to be on application?

Posted April 9, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Hello,
      It’s really going to depend on your specific circumstances whether you would be left off the loan. Some of the main factors would include whether Texas is a community property state and whether your husband’s income would be sufficient to provide a reasonable debt-to-income ratio. WHy don’t you send me an email with your contact info and I can connect you with a TX loan officer who can talk with you about the specifics of your situation.
      Samantha@vu.com

21. Marion
    Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

My husband is a veteran and would qualify for a VA loan. We owe about $16,500 on our current home and are trying to sell. We would like to know if we could pre-qualify for a VA loan to buy a house in another state where we want to retire.

Posted April 14, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Hi Marion,
      It’s very possible you could qualify to purchase another home. The key here is that the new home has to be your intended primary residence. So, if you’re planning to move there right away then you won’t likely have issue with the residency requirement, but if you are wanting to purchase now and then not occupy the home for, let’s say 2 years, then you would run into issues using your VA loan.
      If you’d like to discuss pre-qualification with one of our VA mortgage specialists, I’d be happy to connect you with one licensed in the purchasing state. Just shoot me an email with your contact info and the state you want to purchase in.
      Best of luck,
      samantha@vu.com

22. Joe
    Posted April 17, 2014 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Great read! Question- me and my spouse have over the 620 mark. I have a few to many inquaries(looking for a car but decided not to) and she has a forclosure from a previous marrage, but she gave him the house in the divorce (meaning she has/had no responsiblity for it or the payments). We make about 90k a year together, would a 300k home be out of reach? Estimate

• Joe
      Posted April 17, 2014 at 1:49 am | Permalink

p.s. what are the rules on buying a home when it’s a different state then you are based at?

Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Hi Joe,
        It depends on the specific situation. One of the key provisions of the VA loan guarantee is that you intend for the home to be your primary residence. So for example, if you are based in SC and want to purchase a home in NC, you would have to demonstrate that you were PCSing to NC, that you intend to live in NC and commute to SC, or that your spouse would fulfill occupancy of the home in your absence. Each of these scenarios has a different set of documentation and requirements you’d need to meet. Feel free to email me if you’d like to talk about this more in depth. Just be sure to let me know which state you are currently living in, which state you’d want to purchase a home in, and the general scenario surrounding the purchase.
        Samantha@vu.com

Posted April 17, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Hi Joe,
      It really depends. You would need to talk with a VA mortgage specialists to run the numbers because the amount of your loan approval will depend on your overall debt-to-income ratio. That being said, I’d be happy to connect you with a loan officer that can help you figure that out.
      Samantha@vu.com

23. Char C
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

I’m a 20yr retiree and 100% disabled vet. I have the 620 credit score and I’m currently in the process of boosting my scores as well. My question is this, will my retirement and disability bey enough income to qualify me for the VA loan? I plan to move within the next two months. If I can get the ball rolling now so that I don’t have to rent beforehand that would be such a blessing.

Posted April 22, 2014 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Hi Char,
      It really depends, but it’s possible. You’ll need to run through a mortgage pre-application with a loan officer to determine your debt-to-income ratio so that they can determine the amount you will be able to purchase, assuming you credit qualify. If you’d like me to connect you with a loan officer, I’d be happy to do that. You can just send me an email with your contact info and the state you want to purchase in and I can get the ball rolling. Or you can call 1-888-212-1958.
      Best of luck and thank you for your service!
      samantha@vu.com

24. Adam
    Posted April 28, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Hello. There was some great information above. One question I would have, if my credit score isn’t to the 620 mark, would a down payment of 5-7% help secure the VA loan? I know it was mentioned that this would help with a conventional loan, but I haven’t been able to find any information regarding this specific question.

Posted April 28, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Adam,
      Unfortunately no, those are two separate factors. BUT, Veterans United Lighthouse Program can help guide you on your scores. Here’s a link for this free resource: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/

25. Jason
    Posted April 29, 2014 at 1:42 am | Permalink

I have been working hard on my credit score and have fianlly gotten to the point where I would qualify. My question is, is it a show stopper if I don’t have 3 trade lines that have been active for over 12 months?

Posted April 29, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Hi Jason,
      It’s possible that your lender could consider alternative tradelines such as utilities, storage units, etc but it is based on your overall profile and credit history. You would need to have enough trade lines to show at least 2 reporting credit scores out of the 3. If you’d like to talk about this in detail with a VA Mortgage Specialist, I’d be happy to connect you with one. Feel free to email or comment with any additional questions.
      Samantha@vu.com

26. Rose Tapia-Nabazas
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    I’ve been with my husband 14 yrs married since 2004 and I keep wanting to purchase a home for our kids and us. He avoids the issue and doesn’t want to look into his benefits. Is it possible he purchased a home already using his va loan without me knowing? How can I find out if he did. It’s been two years we owe taxes and he won’t tell me why and he is so secretive about anything pertaining his va benefits. I seen a notice if entitlement to him sent from another computer in our files of our desktop. I read you don’t receive that unless you have applied for it. Please help!

Posted May 19, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Hi Rose,
      I’d suggest talking with an attorney.
      You can use your VA loan benefit multiple times, but that’s about all I can advise you on in this situation.

27. Kayleigh
    Posted May 13, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

My fiance is looking to apply for a va loan. A little over a year ago he was told the minimum credit was 619. He has continuedto work hard to improve that. I know at least one score is almost 660 now. But when we talked to a lender about the preapproval process he said the minimum has gone up quite a bit. Is this the case? Is there a new minimum?even if his average were throne out to 640 shouldn’t that be enough? If he’s denied by one lender does that process exhaust all options?

Posted May 19, 2014 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Hi Kayleigh,
      The VA itself doesn’t have a minimum credit score requirement, that is a requirement put in place by the lender and so there can be some variance in the minimums different lenders will require.
      Veterans United Home Loans requires a 620 min credit score. Check out the website: http://www.veteransunited.com
      I will note here that there could be another cause for the increased credit score requirement, so you may want to ask the lender why they are now requiring the higher score.

28. Ashlynn
    Posted May 18, 2014 at 12:18 am | Permalink

I have a quick question, my husband was KIA in 2009. Me and my now fiance who is also a veteran have been wanting to buy a home. We went through granny 8 mortgage to see about preapproval but my credit was 588 his even lower. We’ve been paying off debt monthly and make payments monthly. We are almost debt free. Can I use lighthouse to help me? Our annual income is about 65,000 combined. We both (once our credit is up) will be able to use our VA loans. Can we use those together?

29. Amber
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Hello, my fiancee and I have been together/lived together for almost 10 years. We have two children together and are looking to buy a house quickly prior to the start of the upcoming school year. We were planning to marry in November, but need to be moved by August. Would we qualify for the VA loan without being married? We both have excellent credit scores (790s) and have lived together for 10 years.

Posted May 20, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Amber,
      It depends on how you would want to qualify and whether you’d want both of your names on the loan.
      If the veteran can qualify on his/her own then you can move forward any time. If you’re unable to qualify with just the veteran then you’d need to look into alternatives which may require you to put some money down. If you’d like to discuss it in more detail just let me know and I can connect you with a loan officer.

30. Wayne
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Samantha,

Two questions:
    1 I plan on retiring next March,2015 and seeking to build/buy a small home in a 55 and over community in Maine. How much time will the VA give me to move into that new home if purchased prior to my retirement?
    2. Presently, between my wife and myself we earn$138K yearly that will drop by over 80K when I retire. As pertains to debt/income ratio and residual income how would that be handle when we file an application; keeping in mind we will have over 20K in available funds in savings; not counting any 401K?

Posted June 2, 2014 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Hi Wayne,
      In response to your questions:
      1. 55 and over communities don’t usually meet the VAs requirements because they limit future purchasers. If you are building a home the VA would expect you (or your spouse) to meet the occupancy requirements within a “reasonable time.” Generally you’d want to be moving in soon after closing.
      2. This is a better question for a VA mortgage specialist – they can run debt to income ratios with you as they will depend on your overall credit profile etc. If you’d like me to connect you with one please let me know by email samantha@vu.com. I’d also want to note that there are special conditions when you are within 12 months of retirement so they’d want to run through those with you.
      Best of luck,

31. P. Rhodes
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Can my husband get a VA loan without me being on it? I am currently in Bankruptcy, and wanted to use my loan, but didn’t want to go through the red tape with bankruptcy.

Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

The service member with eligibility has to be on the loan. If you are the service member then you would need to be on the loan. If he is also eligible to use a VA loan you wouldn’t have to be on the loan.

32. Mike H.
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I have horrible credit. Currently I am on Active Duty and was sucked into one of ths infamous loan predators a few years ago. They reported on my credit and have a credit score bleow the 550s. Is there anything I can do to imporve my credit for the VA home loan?

Posted June 11, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hi Mike,
      Yes, Veterans United has created a free program for people who have scores below 620: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/
      They will work with you from start to finish to help you get in a position to qualify for the VA home loan.

33. john
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

I have read a few comments on here.. All I hear is repair your credit with them! Credit repair!! You can dispute your own credit report and I was reading some post here where VA required a 620 credit score! Well, thats not true its the bank or Leander that requires a min 620. VA will support your loan with any credit score Cuz you are a veteran!! Im a homeless veteran with a family, I had a 700 on credit score but since I was out the army with my disability and it took VA to pay me about 7 months my credit score when down to 500. Nobody care what happen to you or why you didnt pay your bills. Its all about your credit score.. And get help for homeless veteran is really hard too! Now I have the income but my credit score is bad!! Gave up 16 yrs of my life for this country and now I need help I cant get any!!!

34. Joy
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Hello, my dad (who is a veteran)and I are interested in purchasing a home together. Would we be able to use his VA loan benefit if both of our incomes are needed to qualify for the home that we are interested in? If not, what are our options?

Posted June 16, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Hi Joy,
      You can purchase a home together if you intend to both live in the home. But, it’s possible that you would have to put money down because generally if two unmarried people purchase a home together, the Veteran’s eligibility only applies to the veteran. I’d suggest talking with a loan officer about this in more detail so that they can help you determine your options here.

35. kendall jackson
    Posted June 18, 2014 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I have a salary of 50000 a year but make about 80000 with bonuses do u think with a median score of 628 can i get approved for a home loan of 249000

Posted June 19, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Hi Kendall,
      It really depends on your overall debt-to-income ratio which takes into consideration your income and debts.
      If you want me to connect you with a VA mortgage specialist who can help you run the numbers, I’d be happy to.
      Feel free to email me.
      Samantha@vu.com

36. Tracy
    Posted June 19, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Hello! My husband and I are looking to purchase a home in Calfornia. My credit score is 684 and I am active duty military. His score is not quite 620. Do we qualify for a VA loan? Do I have to put him on the loan? we were told we both have to be on a VA home loan in the state of California.

Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Hi Tracy,
      CA is a community property state so both of your debts will have to be considered in the debt-to-income ratio but he doesn’t have to be on the loan. Typically what a loan officer will do is pull both of your credit (to determine debts and score) then if his score isn’t high enough he will remove him as a co-borrower but keep his debts listed.
      Let me know if I can help further!

37. melissa mehtala
    Posted June 20, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

I have a question. My husband and I are both veterans. He has the 2 year job requirement since I am in school, but I have the better credit score. Could we qualify if we were both on the loan even though his score is not a 620?

Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Melissa,
      Every applicant on the VA mortgage has to meet the minimum credit score requirements. That being said, we have a program that can help him get his score above a 620 and it’s a totally free service we offer. Here’s the link for our Lighthouse Program: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/
      If I can be of further assistance, don’t hesitate to email me.

38. melissa mehtala
    Posted June 20, 2014 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

With my score being above that.

39. Barry
    Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Why is my credit score not my credit score? And why can’t I see the numbers that lenders are using?

I’ve been using credit monitoring service from Experian on a monthly basis. And while Experian says my scores are between 646 and 658, lenders are telling me my score is 599.

Posted June 27, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Hi Barry,
      The number you can see on a credit monitoring site is a little different from that a mortgage lender sees because the scores mortgage lenders pull are weighed specifically for mortgage lending risks.

40. Bea
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

My credit score is below the minimum plus I had a foreclosure two years ago (became ill, lost my job and eventually my savings). Would a 50%+ down payment make a difference as far as approval?

Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Hi Bea,
      Checkout the Lighthouse Program – they’ll work with you to help you get in a position to purchase a home. https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/
      To qualify for a VA loan you’ll typically need a 620 or higher score. Some lenders may vary on this requirement. A 50%+ down payment would definitely help your situation, but you’d need to qualify first.

41. Stevie
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Hello

I’m a single veteran who desperately wants to move my grandmother out of her dilapidated home. My credit score is 639 & hers is in the 700s. She’s retired & I’ve just finished school. I’m about to start a job as a sub-contractor making 40-50k p/yr. What are my options being I haven’t been on the job very long? & how would adding her income to the application influence the process.

Posted July 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

HI Stevie,
      It sounds like you would be best suited by talking with a loan officer about your specific situation as it’s going to be dependent on the details of your job. I’d be happy to connect you with someone if you’d like, or you can call 1-800-VA-LOANS.
      Regarding your grandmother, there would be some restrictions on including her on the mortgage application. I’d see if you can qualify on your own first.
      samantha@vu.com

42. KM
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 12:01 am | Permalink

My husband (vet) was unemployed for a year when he came back from Afghanistan. I ended up being transferred to another state. I took the transfer as the economy in our prior state was not so good; however, we ended up not being able to sell our last home and ended up with a deed in lieu. That was about 18 months ago. His credit score is in the mid 700’s, and mine is in the mid 600 (they were higher before the DIL :) I make enough that we probably qualify on my income alone; however, he has been employed continuously since we moved (18 months). How does the deed in lieu affect one’s eligibility? Thank you.

Posted July 7, 2014 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Hi KM,
      It sounds like you are on the right track – regarding the DIL, you typically need to be 2 years out before qualifying. But, there are some exceptions. I’d suggest talking with a lender now though to see if you meet the exception or if you can go ahead and get prequalified to purchase in 6 months.
      Let me know if you’ve got any additional questions.

43. Tiffany
    Posted July 9, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Hi! I am retiring from the military in six months but want to purchase a home before I get out. I am hearing that the lender will go off of my projected retirement pay, not my current pay is that correct? Also does my credit score have to be a certain number to borrow more than $417,000. Thank you.

Posted July 10, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Hi Tiffany,
      They typically wait until you receive your retirement awards statement before being able to calculate your debt-to-income ratio because until you receive the statement you won’t have documentation of the exact amount and the start date.
      Regarding the $417K question – I think it will depend on a few factors – the first is whether you are purchasing in a high cost county and second is what lender you use and they may have differing standards.
      If you’d like me to connect you with a VA mortgage specialist to run through the numbers with you, I’d be happy to.
      Just email me your contact info, state and the best time to call.
      samantha@vu.com

44. Sheryl
    Posted July 13, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I have been working independently the last few years to improve my credit score, but I always still make mistakes and just can’t seem to bring it up. I’ve paid things off (not all but most) and I have a secured credit card but it seems that no one wants to help you get better, how can we improve our scores so we can qualify for a home loan if no one wants to help the under dog.

Posted July 14, 2014 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Hi Sheryl,
      Veterans United Home Loans created the Lighthouse Program to help people in situations similar to yours. And it’s completely free for veterans, military service members and their families. Here’s a link: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/
      Also, feel free to email me if you have further questions, I’m here to help.
      samantha@vu.com

45. bruce laurence
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

i need a loan of 40000$

Posted July 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Bruce,
      I’d check with a few different lenders to see who can offer you the lowest closing costs and APR on a loan of this amount. Check out Veterans United Home Loans and maybe a local credit union and bank.
      Let me know if I can help further.

46. jasmine
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

my husband was in the army and he passed away in 2011. is there a expiration on me getting to use the Va loan?

Posted July 16, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Jasmine,
      I’m sorry for the loss of your husband. Here’s what the VA says regarding surviving spouse eligibility:
      Spouses

The spouse of a Veteran can also apply for home loan eligibility under one of the following conditions:
      – Unremarried spouse of a Veteran who died while in service or from a service connected disability, or
      – Spouse of a Servicemember missing in action or a prisoner of war
      – Surviving spouse who remarries on or after attaining age 57, and on or after December 16, 2003
      (Note: a surviving spouse who remarried before December 16, 2003, and on or after attaining age 57, must have applied no later than December 15, 2004, to establish home loan eligibility. VA must deny applications from surviving spouses who remarried before December 6, 2003 that are received after December 15, 2004.)
      – Surviving Spouses of certain totally disabled veterans whose disability may not have been the cause of death

and here’s a link to the info: http://benefits.va.gov/homeloans/purchaseco_eligibility.asp
      Let me know if I can help further, email me anytime.
      samantha@vu.com

47. Roland
    Posted July 27, 2014 at 12:07 am | Permalink

Marine Vet Here, my wife and I have roughly the same credit score in the 550 range. We applied through navy federal for the VA loan. Does anyone know our chances of getting approved.

48. ra Neter
    Posted July 28, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

My legal fees was explained by the attorney I used, would the va try to find out what was the purpose

Posted July 29, 2014 at 8:25 am | Permalink

Hello,
      Do you mean the fees an attorney charged to conduct a closing or something different?

49. FD Perez
    Posted July 29, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Good morning. I had a short sale June 2013. My current FICO score is 683 through Experian. My current salary is $75,000 with bonus potential of $5,000-$7,500. What advice do you have for me as?

Thanks,

FDP

Posted July 29, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Hello,
      I’d suggest consulting with a loan officer to determine your loan qualification. You are a year out from your short sale so it may be possible for you to move forward now.
      I’d be happy to connect you with a loan officer if you’d like to email me your contact info and the state you want to purchase in.
      samantha@vu.com

50. Rob
    Posted August 12, 2014 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

If my wife is the veteran and her credit is below 620 and mine the spouse credit is 730 would we qualify?

Posted August 13, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Rob if your wife is the one with eligibility, she would need to be on the loan. Each person on the loan needs to have a qualifying credit score. So if she’s below 620 she’d need to improve her score in order to qualify. Veterans United has the free Lighthouse Program that can help with that process. Here’s the link to more info: https://lighthouse.veteransunited.com/

51. Kenneth
    Posted September 9, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

I’m looking at securing a VA back loan, the issue is my middle score is 705, I only make about $50,000 my wife make about $70,000 annual but her credit score is in the high 500’s. If she is on the loan application will that hurt our chances of getting approved?

Posted September 10, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hi Kenneth,
      All parties on the loan have to meet the minimum credit score requirements set by the lender. So your wife would likely need to get her score up to a 620.
      With that being said, the scores you pull yourself are not the same scores a lender receives when they pull your credit, there may be differences.
      I’d suggest talking with a VA loan specialist to run numbers both ways, with her on and off the loan so that you can determine how to move forward.
      If you decide you want to work on her credit for a while after that, the Veterans United Lighthouse Program can help.

52. Kathe mangrum
    Posted September 22, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Can you qualify for a cal vet loan if you owe judgements

Posted September 23, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Kathe,
      I’d suggest consulting with a lender who does Cal Vet loans on this one. CalVet loans are different from VA loans in several ways and I don’t have the experience to speak on Cal Vet specifics.

53. Heather Smith
    Posted September 25, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

My husband requested his credit score and it came back with 590-685 through 3 different companies. Would he b able to be approved although one company is reporting his credit as lower than a 620? Thank you.

Posted September 25, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Hi Heather,
      I’d suggest talking with a VA mortgage specialist at Veterans United Home Loans. The credit scores you pull for yourself are often different than the scores a mortgage lender receives as they are weighted differently. I’d be happy to connect you with a loan officer in your area if you’d like to email me your contact info, or you can call 1-800-VA-LOANS.
      The VA loan doesn’t have a minimum credit score requirement, but the lenders who lend the money do have certain credit score requirements.
      Here’s some more info on the VA loan:http://www.veteransunited.com/va-loans/
      Feel free to reach out with any questions!
      Samantha@vu.com

54. Brian
    Posted October 20, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Hi;

I’ve got a bankruptcy on my credit report that will discharge in April 2015.
    Even WITH the bankruptcy, my credit score ranges between 698- 730 approx, depending on the credit bureau you look at. The bankruptcy was due to a failed investment property I owned several years ago with a partner, and the partner walked away.
    My personal finances have always been stellar and I’ve never missed a payment on my current home, car, credit card, etc. In addition, I will have made every Chapter 13 payment and paid the debt down entirely as per the court’s order.

Once I discharge, I want to immediately sell my townhouse, which I’ve outgrown, and buy a single family. I’ve recently received a job making in excess of 100K a year, plus my National Guard payment of approx 10K per year.
    I’ve read many sites which say you can often find a VA home lender immediately after discharge – this is what I’m looking for as I’d like to sell my townhome and move ASAP. I cannot wait 2 years after discharge to move.

Any tips? Anyone in the New Jersey area who can help? I’ve got the income and creditworthiness for a new home, and have never used a VA loan, but have this Chapter 13 which will loom over my head for a few more years.

Posted October 21, 2014 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Brian,
      You should talk with a VA mortgage specialist. You can call 1-800-VA-LOANS or I’d be happy to connect you with a loan officer. With a Chapter 13 there are lender specific rules at play here. If you have filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you will likely have a waiting period of 12 months from the date your bankruptcy was filed before you can obtain mortgage financing, but there may be other factors at play, so you need to talk with a loan officer to review your entire profile.
      Samantha@vu.com

55. Jon
    Posted October 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Hello, My only question is in regards to the VA Loan requirement and bank information! Considering I can open an account every week from different banks for $1.00 to $50.00. Why would my personal bank habbits affect my purchase of a home. If I have all credit requirements and down payment, then who cares on if I had a negitave balance once two months ago???

Jon

Posted October 22, 2014 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Jon,
      If a lender sees a negative balance they will consider it a factor when determining your ability to manage finances and thus ability to repay the loan. Talk with your loan officer to determine what you need to do regarding this bank account. There may be a workaround such as submitting a letter of explanation describing why the overdraft occurred and why it’s not likely to occur again.

56. Marie
    Posted October 30, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

My husband is a veteran, and has a Bachelor’s degree but is still not able to find a good paying job (his annual income is about $35,000 not including the little retirement he gets from the military, mine is $40,000+ w/bonuses). He has pretty good credit (score around 720), me on the other hand mine ranges around 628 collectively of all 3 scores. We tried to get a VA loan through NFCC little over a year ago and were denied due to his debt to income was too high and my credit score was too low at the time (was around 590 then). We just had to get another car about a month ago which lowered mine down to the score 628 due to them running it so much. I am wondering if it is possible to get a VA loan with those credit scores and the collectively income we have now. I am just looking for some advice before I have someone start running our credit because I know that lowers your score each time, and to let me know if there is even a chance that we can get approved with our circumstances or we just need to give up on our dreams of being home owners.

Posted October 31, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Marie,
      It’s impossible for me to tell you with certainty if you would qualify. Typically lenders are looking for a credit score of 620 or higher to get you qualified along with several other factors like the debt-to-income ratio you mentioned. You can get a rough estimate of your DTI by taking all of your monthly credit payments (doesn’t include things like utilities) and divide by monthly income. Ideally your DTI is going to be below 41%, but it’s still possible in some cases to go higher than that. As you can see, there’s a lot of factors involved. You could talk with a VA mortgage specialist at 1-888-212-1958 and have them run the numbers for you. If they determine that you aren’t able to qualify, they can refer you to the Lighthouse Program which could give you guidance on how to get yourself in a position to qualify in the future. Best of luck.

57. Richard
    Posted October 31, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

I was able to raise my scores above 620 for the initial pre-approval. If my scores drop when my credit is rechecked before final approval, even without any negative information being added to my credit reports, with this be a cause for denial?

Posted November 3, 2014 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Hi Richard,
      I’d discuss this one with your lender. Typically a preapproval is conditional on several factors including your score staying in the required range.

58. Arthur
    Posted November 5, 2014 at 2:47 am | Permalink

If:
    1) The VA guarantees the loan; and
    2) The VA doesn’t require a credit score minimum

Then:
    As a general question, why do the lenders care what the borrower’s credit score is since they’re getting the money either way, be it from the borrower or the VA?

Just curious, thanks.

Posted November 5, 2014 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Arthur,
      The VA guarantee only covers 25% of the homes value so the lenders are still on the hook for the remainder if the buyer were to go into foreclosure.

59. Aleisha
    Posted November 17, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I have been improving my score on my own in order to avoid the hard inquiry from Veterans United, and want to apply for a loan soon. However, I read one of the prior comments in which a veteran with a service-connected disability was unable to secure a loan due to having less than 2 years of part-time employment.

I do not have a service-connected disability and work full time, but I want to clarify whether the 2 year minimum for employment also applies for full-time work. I happen to have been at the same place for exactly 2 years now, but I was anticipating switching to a higher-paying job (interview this Thursday!). Should I hold off on that and stick to my 2-year history where I am, or is it okay to move on to the higher-paying position for full-time? Thanks.

Posted November 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Aleisha,
      It depends. If the new job is in the same line of work as what you are doing now, and you don’t have any gaps in employment, then it won’t likely be an issue. If it’s a completely different line of work, it may cause issue, or require additional documentation.

60. Norm
    Posted December 9, 2014 at 3:11 am | Permalink

My credit is under 620, but my wife is better, much better in fact. Can we still try for a VA loan even though I am the one that actually served, and not my wife. Can they take her FICO in condideration. We also have more than 25K in liquid assets, would that help??

Posted December 9, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Hi Norm,
      As you are the service member, you’d need to be on the loan, and every person on the loan has to meet the credit score requirements set by the lender. I’d suggest talking with a loan officer here at Veterans United to see what your options are, 1-888-212-1958.

61. Bgreen
    Posted December 29, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

So let me get his straight; an individual with $3,500 monthly income and a credit score of 699 would be eligible for a loan as is. But if he has a part time earning an extra 1500 per month and he chooses to include this information on the application then he would not get the loan if he did not have that part time gig for at least two years. In what world does this make any kind of practical sense?

Posted December 29, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Hi,
      No, that’s incorrect. If he can qualify without using that extra income then he could still proceed. IF the part-time position isn’t held for the necessary time, they can still qualify, they just can’t use that extra income for qualification purposes.

62. Woodrow
    Posted December 29, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hi there. My fiancé and I are planning to get married this June. We are starting the process of finding/buying a home. He is active duty in the military. While I have a credit score in the 700s, he does not have any established credit from a credit card. Does this disqualify us from obtaining a VA loan since they only look at the individual in the military’s credit score (since we aren’t married yet).

Posted December 29, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Rachel,
      I’d suggest he pull a copy of his credit report and score to see if he has any open trade lines. You don’t have to have credit cards, but you do usually need open trade lines which could include but aren’t limited to car loans, student loans, mortgage, etc. If he doesn’t have a score reporting at all, or if he only has one or two trade lines, he may benefit from some credit planning. I’d suggest he talk with a loan officer at Veterans United Home Loans as they can guide him through the entire loan process.

63. Doris Martinez
    Posted December 30, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Hello,
    My husband and I both 100% Permanent Disable Veterans we are looking to buy our first home. We relocated from P.R to Florida a few months ago and I had to made the last 2 months one overdraft in my Bank account due to some relocation expenses. We are set now. How this situation can affect the process to be approved and also I would like to know when you recommend to begin the process of application if we are planning to buy around May to June 2015?
    Thanks!!

Posted January 2, 2015 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Hi Doris,
      I’d suggest that you talk with a loan officer about 6 months before you plan to purchase. That way, if you have any issues with credit, etc you can work on clearing those up prior to your purchase. The overdraft is something your lender would need to advise on as each lender has their own credit underwriting requirements. It’s possible that you may be able to provide a letter of explanation regarding the situation if it was a one time occurrence, but that will be up to your lender. If you want to talk with someone at Veterans United Home Loans you can call 1-888-212-1958.

64. Ashley
    Posted December 31, 2014 at 4:44 am | Permalink

You have to shop around for loans because I am a college student and I am 60% service connected and was curious what I would qualify for. I called my realtor he found a bank for me that was willing to loan me $75,000 last year with a credit score of 620. Of course I did not take it because a house is more than that in NY, but with guaranteed service connected compensation it isn’t that hard to find a lender because they know you are guarenteed to get that money every month for the rest of your life.

65. Ron J
    Posted January 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

USMC vet. Credit score around 630 and slowly getting better. DIL 6 years ago. Chap 13 dismissed 4 years ago (filed to stop multiple lawsuits from credit cards that I could not pay due to loss of work). 3 of these cc’s went into collections and are 6 years old. Statute of Limitations is up in another year. No missed payments past 6 years. Retired now with US civil Service and SSA income of $45,000. My wife makes $50,000, but not sure her score will qualify (borderline because of same debts) Is it possible to get a VA loan(I have my COE) this year, or should I wait one more year until the SOL expires on everything but the Chap 13? I am trying to get the Chap 13 removed since it was dismissed after a year bc my attorney did not file the proper paperwork. I have been renting for past 5 years, but have found a house I would like to purchase. Had 780 score for years when the SHTF. Such is life. 2008 was a terrible year!

Posted January 7, 2015 at 8:47 am | Permalink

Hi Ron,
      I’d suggest talking with a loan officer at Veterans United Home Loans 1-888-212-1958. They’ll be able to answer your credit questions and help you figure out the best plan on moving forward.

66. Ron J
    Posted January 6, 2015 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

In my earlier comment a few minutes ago, I mistakenly stated that the statute of limitations on my existing debts is due to expire in another year. Not sure what I was thinking because the SOL has ALREADY EXPIRED on all my debts! What I meant to say was the 7 year reporting statute (it falls off my credit report) expires in a year. Sorry about the info screw up.

67. Craig
    Posted January 18, 2015 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Recently my wife and decided to buy a home instead of renting. we contacted a mortgage lender who said with my income we could get a mortgage for more than I would ever want. The company pulled my scores and said there are some things I need to take care of first. They said they would not be able to do the loan for a year. My question is if I take care of the things they said why will it take a year before I could get the loan. Do all lenders take the middle score of your three credit scores?

Posted January 19, 2015 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Hi Craig,
      It’s impossible for me to say why they said you’d need to wait for a year, because there could be several factors going into their decision.
      I do believe most lenders use your middle credit score. I’d suggest talking with a loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans as they can walk you through the entire process and give you additional clarification.

68. amanda
    Posted January 29, 2015 at 11:29 am | Permalink

If my brother has excellent credit but no job. And my parents have regular income but bad credit,(retired and a vet) Can they apply together?

Posted January 29, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Amanda,
      Several things here:
      1. If someone other than a spouse is co-signing on a loan, they must also have VA loan eligibility, And
      2. They must all intend to occupy the home as their primary residence
      3. All borrowers must meet the minimum credit score requirement
      4. Does your brother have any income that’s not job related? If so, that income may be considered.
      Hope that helps.

69. Anthony
    Posted January 30, 2015 at 2:14 am | Permalink

My credit score is in the mid 500 range, my wife’s score is well over 660. I am a veteran and she is a care taker. I now work for Union Pacific Railroad and make over 90k a year. Would her score and my income offset my poor credit score?

Posted January 30, 2015 at 9:25 am | Permalink

Hi Anthony,
      Each borrower on the loan needs to meet the credit score requirement, usually 620 for VA loans. That being said, I’d suggest you talk with a VA-savvy loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans to see about your options. If they aren’t able to get you qualified today, they can connect you with the Lighthouse Program who can guide you on how to improve your credit so you can purchase in the future.

70. Ashley Caliendo
    Posted February 5, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

The lighthouse program is absolutely great! We have been working with Jake Frogge and he has given us great advice on how to get our credit to where it needs to be to qualify for a home loan. Jake is easy to talk to and super helpful. Honestly, without his guidence we probably would have given up on owning our own home or atleast put it off for a long time. Thanks so much Jake!

Ashley Caliendo

Posted February 5, 2015 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Ashley,
      That’s fantastic to hear! I’ll be sure to pass this along to Jake too :)

71. Tiffany
    Posted February 13, 2015 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Does VU take the 3 FICO scores and use the middle score to determine if I am eligible? What FICO scoring models are used for each 3 scores?

Posted February 13, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Tiffany,
      I’d suggest you talk with a loan officer here at Veterans United about credit score details, but they do use the middle score.

72. Jimmy Johnson
    Posted February 14, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Does the va do home loans for marine corps reservist.
    Also if not can I use my deceased fathers va loan. He never used it before his death.

73. Shanell
    Posted February 23, 2015 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

What if I have a credit score of 619 would I still be eligible? I’m also a veteran and looking to purchase this year after I retire.

Posted February 23, 2015 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Hi Shanell,
      I’d suggest talking with a VA-savvy loan officer. They will look at all three of your credit scores and your overall credit profile to make a loan determination. You can reach one here at Veterans United Home Loans by calling 888-212-1958.

74. Shanell
    Posted February 23, 2015 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

75. Candi Sanders
    Posted March 1, 2015 at 9:05 am | Permalink

My husband is a Veteran and is wanting to buy a home. We have been working hard on his credit and all of his scores are over 600 now. They are 606, 684 and 635 giving him an average of 641. Would it be worth looking into getting prequalified or should he wait for the scores to get a little higher. Our current lease is up in July.

Posted March 2, 2015 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Hi Candi,
      I think it’d be a good idea to talk with a loan officer at this point so they can review your overall credit history.

76. Roderick
    Posted March 15, 2015 at 12:23 am | Permalink

I had a short sale on 2008 and I have been working on getting my credit back to where it use to be. I been tracking my credit score through many different website (CK, Freecreditreport..) and just not sure if I qualify for a VA loan. I am still in active duty and just got promoted. If there is anyone here in San Diego can help me out please let me know. I am looking to buy a house as soon as possible.

Posted March 16, 2015 at 10:38 am | Permalink

Hi Roderick,
      Yes, we can help. I can get you paired up with a loan officer to answer your questions and walk you through the process.
      Just email me your contact info and I’ll get you connected.
      Samantha@vu.com

77. Troy Bradley
    Posted March 16, 2015 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

550-580 Credit score, low debt, large down payment. Does the VA even consider lowering the requirement for CS if you have a large down payment. Thanks

Posted March 16, 2015 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Troy,
      The VA doesn’t establish the credit score requirements, it’s the lender that does, so you’d need to find a lender willing to work with the lower score. You may try starting with a local credit union.

78. Kj
    Posted March 19, 2015 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Any of you who might be residents of Mississippi… are you familiar with the Veteran’s Home Purchase Board of the State Of Mississippi? (www.vhpb.state.ms.us)

79. HSmith
    Posted March 24, 2015 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

My husbands scores are 657, 657, and 618 Experian is the lowest of the three. Is it an average?

Posted March 25, 2015 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Your lender will likely use the middle score.

80. Amanda
    Posted April 10, 2015 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

My husband is a USMC vet on a 5 year temp disability making 24,000/year. His credit scores are around 670 . I am full time making 37000/year. My scores range from 632-640. I’m confident we would be eligible for a home loan through the VA based on our credit but curious as to wether they will consider his temp disability for an income (90%). Also curious as to how much we would be approved for?

Posted April 13, 2015 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Amanda,
      These are all loan qualification questions, so I’d suggest talking with a licensed loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans. You can reach a loan officer by calling 888-212-1958 and they can walk you through the process and answer any questions you may have.

81. mb
    Posted April 12, 2015 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Hi i have a question, my husband and i are both in the military. I just re eenlistment and he’s getting out this year. We’re wanting to buy a house. In order to apply for the VA loan is it necessary for my husband to be in the loan? He has terrible credit and I don’t want to put him on the loan.

Posted April 13, 2015 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Hi MB,
      It’s not required that his credit be considered on the loan, just keep in mind his income wouldn’t be considered either.
      Some states require that the spouses credit be pulled and their obligations considered, so I’d suggest talking with a loan officer and running through the different scenarios.

82. Jamillah
    Posted April 15, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Hi, I’ve recently been working on getting my credit updated and improved and as of now, I have a 595(EQ), 715(EX) &720(TU). I’m not sure why EQ is taking is taking so long to update but I was wondering if I would qualify for the VA loan. I’ve also heard other things about them using your FICO score instead but I’m unsure of what my fico score is. I was also wondering…if I was approved for a loan and the house that I wanted was over the loan amount, how would that work? I’m pretty sure I’d have to put money down towards it, but is there a certain percentage of the difference or do I have to pay the difference upfront?

Posted April 15, 2015 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Hello,
      It can vary from lender to lender, but some will take your middle credit score. Also keep in mind that the scores you see aren’t necessarily the scores your lender will see when they pull your credit because they’ll be weighted for mortgage factors. I’d definitely suggest you reach out to a loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans at 888-212-1958 to see what’s possible.
      I’d also suggest talking with a loan officer about your second question regarding loan amounts as they’ll be able to discuss specifics related to your situation.

83. Theresa
    Posted April 17, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I hope you can help me. In 2008 we had a FHA mortgage, but had to walk away in 2012 when the bank refused to help us restructure. The home sold by the bank for $100K loss. Our VU loan officer said that we had to wait 3 years on FHA loan (said it will be seasoned? in last 2015). Does that sound right? Also, our COE is $36K, does that mean we can only borrow 4X that amount? I really do not understand the COE. Thanks for your help.

Posted April 20, 2015 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Theresa,
      Your loan officer will have the best understanding of the specifics of your situation, so I’d defer to them regarding seasoning.
      The COE can definitely be confusing. That is the full amount of entitlement, so the VA will guarantee a home up to the county loan limit in your area, which is $417K in many places, but goes higher in some high cost counties.

84. Tom
    Posted May 10, 2015 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

This article is a little misleading. Folks come hear expecting to get qualified after the coveted 620 minimum credit score but what they are not told is the score used to determine eligibility is a seperate score used by mortgage companies. Not the one you normally get at the credit score sites. The mortgage score is insome cases (if not most) much lower. I just found out my fico 8 score from transunion is 688 but my mortgage score from transunion is 619!

Now my question….is the above info true?

Posted May 11, 2015 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Tom,
      The credit score you pull on your own may differ from that pulled by a mortgage company because the scores are weighted differently to consider mortgage factors. That may be why you saw a difference in the score pulled on your own compared to that pulled by a lender.

85. tony w
    Posted May 22, 2015 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I am a veteran with currently little to no income while my spouse makes 120000+ a year on a job she has been on for over 25yr. We both have scores in the upper 600s Can we get a loan basically using her income.

Posted May 22, 2015 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Tony,
      I’d suggest talking with a loan officer. If you are both on the loan the lender can likely consider both of your incomes in the determination, but it’d be best to talk with a loan officer about the specifics. You can call one here at Veterans United Home Loans at 888-212-1958.
      Thanks,

86. Misty
    Posted May 27, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Hello, quick question, I am a 100% disabled veteran with a credit score currently around 629. My husband and I are considering bankruptcy mostly because of his bills and credit situation. If we file jointly would I still qualify for a VA home loan after or would I have to wait the 7-10 years for it to come off my credit report?

87. Megan
    Posted May 29, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Hello,

My fiance is a marine vet. We have been trying to get approved for a VA loan. He has the VA guarantee letter already. But we keep having issues with either his credit score which is 643 or that he doesn’t have 2 years work on paper only a little over a year. Any advice? Than you in advance

Posted May 29, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Megan,
      I’d talk with a loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans. If they aren’t able to qualify him right now, they can connect him with the Lighthouse Program which offers free guidance so he can work to get in a position to qualify.

88. sarah
    Posted May 29, 2015 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Ok my question. We want to do a cash out VA refi. My husband is active military. He is only on the loan and will refi only on the loan. HE has 740 credit scores. I have bad credit with many current lates due to old debt from my previous marriage. I am working on doing compromises to pay them off at a lower amount which meant I had to go delinquent to do so. Anyway. I live in California. The loan officer says he has to pull my credit too even if I am not going on the loan. Will they make us pay off these debts because they are delinquent? Will it stop us from getting a cashout refi?. We don’t want to pay them off. Our debt ratio is like 33%. We want the money to pay off a personal loan that is way higher in payment then my four accounts put together. What do you think?

Posted June 1, 2015 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Sarah,
      California is a community property state so the loan officer will need to pull your credit as well as your husbands and look at the overall debt when calculating his debt-to-income ratio.
      The loan officer can advise you regarding whether they’d require the debts to be paid off, etc.

89. Rick
    Posted May 31, 2015 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Looking into buying a home with the help of VA Loan, my credit is about 680.
    Is that good enough for a loan?. And how much down for a house around 110,000??(the lowest allowed).
    My wife does not want to be on the loan is that possible??

Posted June 1, 2015 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Hi Rick,
      The VA doesn’t establish a minimum credit score, but many lenders look for a 620 or higher. One of the great benefits of the VA loan is that there is no down payment required, and you don’t have to pay private mortgage insurance.
      Your wife doesn’t have to be a co-signor on the loan, but depending on which state you are in, her debts may be considered in calculating your debt-to-income ratios and other loan qualification items.
      I’d suggest talking with a loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans to see what’s possible. 888-212-1958

90. Andre
    Posted June 9, 2015 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I am a veteran I’ve been out for three years now and just last month turned 26 so I would like to use the va loan to buy a house ( quad plex) my credit score is a 640 I start a job on Monday after being unemployed for three years because I was trying to finish my degree which I will in dec 2015 but I’ll be getting payed 2000 a month from now on the only negative thing that I can say is that I have a 5000 credit card that is maxed out will I still be able to get a va loan ? Cause I wanna buy a house like not now but right now

Posted June 9, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Andre,
      I’d suggest talking with a loan officer here at Veterans United Home Loans 888-212-1958. They will be able to discuss your overall loan application. One thing that could be an issue is your gap in employment. It will likely be necessary for you to show that your new job can connect to your degree, or some past experience. A knowledgeable loan officer can walk you through that process.

91. Myna
    Posted July 30, 2015 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Hi Samantha,
    My husband doesnt really have a good credit score and I have 620, i believe. Is there still hope for us to get a home? Thank you!

Posted July 30, 2015 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Hi Myna,
      I’d suggest talking with a loan officer at Veterans United Home Loans. They will go through a loan application with you, and if you aren’t able to qualify that day, they can connect you with the Lighthouse Program. Lighthouse is a great resource and they’ll work with you to improve your overall loan profile.

92. Rose Tapia-Nabazas
    Posted August 1, 2015 at 2:13 am | Permalink

How can I find out if my husband used his va loan on someone else..
    We have been married 10 yrs and he avoids me every time I start looking for homes or doesn’t want to tell me his benefits. He’s a war time veteran serviced in the Navy 4 years and 2 inactive. I did see he was awarded no service connected disability. I’m lost and confused please help where do I start?
    Sincerely,
    Mrs. Nabazas

6 Trackbacks

1. By How VA Mortgages Avoid The Credit Crunch on July 17, 2013 at 11:01 am

[…] seems counter-intuitive: The VA loan program succeeds without requirements for big down payments or soaring credit scores, the very things now demanded by many […]

2. […] we’re talking about VA home loans and credit scores, it’s usually a conversation focused on what kind of scores lenders are looking for and what […]

3. […] delinquent or in default on a federally assisted loan cannot meet the VA’s definition of a satisfactory credit risk. And that means VA lenders will be forced to turn you […]

4. […] of the biggest obstacles to getting a VA loan after bankruptcy is a consumer’s credit score. Spending those two years after the discharge working on credit repair is critical, as is making […]

5. […] or secure his own separate financing. Either way, you complete the sale, avoid foreclosure and protect your credit rating and financial […]

6. […] The VA also wants a borrower to be a “satisfactory credit risk,” but, as with income, the agency doesn’t actually have a strict credit standard. […]