The Fourth of July is an opportunity to spend time with friends and family. It’s also a great time to get creative with fun and festive treats. Perfect for a holiday barbecue or to send to friends or loved ones overseas, these “July in a Jar” cakes taste just as delightful as they look. Here’s the simple rundown:
Red, White and Blue Cake in a Jar
- 6 Mason jars
- 2 boxes of white cake mix
- 2 cans of frosting
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cup water
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Red and blue food coloring
- Sprinkles (optional)
1. Boil the jars and lids. Dry; spray insides with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Make cake mix as directed on box. Distribute the batter into three separate bowls.
3. Add red food coloring to one bowl and blue food coloring to another, leaving the remaining bowl white.
4. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of each colored layer into the jar, filling the jars no more than halfway full.
5. Place on a cookie sheet. (This will catch any overflow that may occur.)
6. Put in the oven at 350 F for 30 minutes.
7. Remove the jars and allow to cool completely.
8. Scoop a small dollop of frosting onto the top of each cake. (If necessary, a small section of the top layer may be cut out to make room.)
9. Decorate with sprinkles and serve, or seal with lids to store in the fridge.
The “July in a Jar” concept isn’t just for cake. Jello, punch, fruit and popcorn can all get a patriotic twist. Check out the links below for complete instructions on more fun and festive treats: